How to Shop For the Best 6×9 Speakers? Buying Guide and Reviews
We know the fact that factory speakers aren’t good enough and with that, you might want to upgrade them. Don’t fret thinking that it would cost you a lot to improve your car sound system.
Why? Well, it is because you have ample options of car speakers to choose such as the best 6x9 speakers that will not cause too much damage to your pocket. There is just a need for you to be wise enough and come up with the right choice.
#1. Polk Audio DB691 6-by-9-Inch 3-Way Speakers (Editor's Choice.)
What Are 6x9 Speakers?
But, what are these 6x9 speakers? Compared to the best 6x8 car speakers, these speakers are oval-shaped along with a diameter of 6 inches tall and 9 inches wide. In fact, it is the exact measurement of the woofer cone speaker. Because of its design, manufacturers could indeed get a lot from these types of speakers concerning overall sound quality than other speakers out there.
Besides, 6x9 speakers are a favorite by the majority of car sound enthusiasts. You can get a lot of great sounds from these kinds of speakers though they only need a small amount of space and minor amplifications and tweaks.
If you want to achieve an overall louder sound along with lower bass frequency, adding a larger subwoofer could be installed. You might need help on how to install 6x9 speakers so watch this video below:
Why Upgrade Your Car Speakers to 6x9 Speakers?
There are indeed wide numbers of benefits out of upgrading your car speakers to these types. These speakers are a lot easier choice for those who are looking for speakers that perform great at a reasonable price.
If you are planning to build up a new whole system regarding your car speakers, then these 6x9 speakers are the right choice. They are also known to be an all-in-one speaker solution.
Apart from that, 6x9 speakers might as well perform at its best to almost all frequencies within the sound spectrum. And due to its size and shape, there is an assurance of deep, punchy sounding bass that is expected at the low end.
It also has a mid-range that can be a core component of the speakers so they could excel at the said frequency. These kinds of speakers indeed have this ability to reach the higher frequencies together with a large ease due to the built in tweeter which comes along with these modern systems.
And you can enjoy other benefits out of upgrading your car speakers, especially to 6x9 car speakers.
Factors to Consider When Buying 6x9 Speakers
And four main factors should be considered as you make a purchase of this kind of speaker. And these are the following:
Frequency refers to the measure of pitch and the range of lows and highs being provided by the woofers, tweeters and more. This frequency response is the measure of how wide a range of frequencies that a speaker could reproduce.
But there is a need to take care not to get the speaker system having a poor frequency balance. Indeed, a speaker system with too much emphasis on the low frequencies might distort and muddy up the higher frequency sounds. You need to choose 6x9 speakers with balanced frequency response.
Of course, the build quality of the speakers would have a great impact on the length of their life. It is crucial that you choose good materials that will play a significant role in the sound quality of your speaker.
Rubber could last a longer period at the same time offering superb sound quality. And for an excellent durability as well as equally impressive bass response, meta-coated synthetics or polypropylene blends could be considered. Indeed, build quality matters.
This factor is the measure of how much power is needed to put out at a certain volume level. Those higher sensitivity speakers would only require less power to operate. Before purchasing, you have to consider the power of your amp or the head unit.
And sensitivity could be measured in decibels wherein higher numbers are considered better. Indeed, good ranges would begin around 90dB and up.
And this factor is the level of power in watts which could be put through the speakers. RMS value is the best way to measure the power handling of the speakers since many manufacturers would use meaningless or obscure measurements and numbers.
There is also a need to consider that the maximum RMS value is a lot more important compared to the peak power handling value. It is important that the speakers could handle the power of the head unit or the external amp and these speakers must not be left starving for power, inversely.
Apart from the factors mentioned, the speaker materials are considered to be important too. These would let you know the durability of the speaker and would also render quality sound. Some of the things to consider are the following:
- Tweeters. Listening expectation must be considered. Soft materials such as textile blends, silk and poly will bring smooth sound. Nevertheless, hard materials are for those who will listen to forceful as well as radiant high notes.
- Woofers. The materials must be made of lightweight as well as stiff materials along with the ability to stand against the moisture, heat, and cold.
- Surround. The role of the surround is to let the woofer cones move freely as well as create powerful bass. So, for those high-end speakers, it might be made of rubber to stand against heat and humidity condition. Even though foam and cloth are a lot cheaper, they would still provide great performance.
In addition, there are other additional features that you should look for in order to improve the listening experience. Here are as follow:
- Pivoting Tweeters. These could be installed in appropriate locations, and they could help in driving the sound directly to the ear of the listener. You are guaranteed with a more lively and dynamic sound performance.
- Detachable Tweeters. These features are installed either as a component or coaxial system. With these, there is no need to buy new tweeters if you are to upgrade the stereo system of your car.
- External Crossovers. And these can appear in some of the full-range systems. They would separate the sound channel to suitable ranges and will send them to the corresponding component. The low frequency will send the woofers, and the high-frequency range will send to the tweeters. Each component will produce a lot better and more clarity sound.
These factors must definitely be considered if you want to experience the best sound quality of 6x9 speakers. Read this for more information in terms of buying speakers for your car.
Reviews of the Best 6x9 Speakers
#1. Polk Audio DB691 6-by-9-Inch 3-Way Speakers (Editor's Choice.)
And now, let’s come to the reviews of the top 5 best 6x9 speakers you can find available in the market today. These reviews will indeed help you decide which one to purchase and will help you learn more about these options.
Related post: Best 5×7 Speakers: How to Choose and What to Choose?
And for the best pick, I will consider Polk Audio DB691 6-by-9-Inch 3-Way Speakers as the best 6x9 speakers. Why? Here are the reasons behind this pick:
- It has a great design that you might want for the better appearance of the car.
- Aside from its great design, this speaker offers high-quality features that could answer your needs when it comes to upgrading your car audio system.
- These speakers work well with amplifiers, and quality sound is definitely guaranteed without causing too much damage to your pocket.
With these reasons, no doubt that this one sits on top among other speakers.
Indeed, finding the best speaker to suit your car and your audio preferences isn’t an easy task as always. You need to follow certain guidelines, consider some important factors and take note of the products reviews as well. With that, we hope that you have learned a lot from this article.
Feel free to leave your thoughts below and share this article to help others in choosing the best 6x9 speakers out in the market today!