How to Identify and Replace a Bad AC Compressor
In this article, you will know about the importance of the air conditioning (AC) system in a car, how AC compressors work, and reasons they may stop working. At the end of the article, you can follow the step-by-step guidelines to repair and replace AC compressors.
Why Are Air Conditioning System Important?
- Air conditioning systems have become one of the most integral systems in a car. Air conditioners help to maintain the temperature and conditions inside the car. They make your trip comfortable and pleasant.
- Air conditioning is not one of the most important systems in your car. A broken air conditioner might not bring your car to a halt. In fact,our car can run for many miles without air conditioning compressors. But have you ever seen a car without air conditioning system?
- An AC compressor is the main component in the air conditioning system. You can hear of AC compressor problems in the most luxurious and prestigious cars. The AC compressor is one of the most stressed components in any car. Some problems with an AC compressor might seem small and manageable, but they might end up as a very expensive issue over a long period of time.
Simple And Complete Operation Of The Air Conditioning System
Read this article for a more in-depth understanding and operation of the air conditioning system in your car.
This video shows the important parts and operation of the air conditioning system in an easy to understand animated version.
How to Identify Common Causes for AC Compressor Failure
How to Replace an AC Compressor.
After understanding about the AC compressor system working and different problems that cause the failure of the AC compressor system, we can move to the repair or replacement of the AC compressor. Never attempt to repair the AC compressor system unless you have proper knowledge and guidance combined with safety equipment and machine tools.
- Step 1: Park your car in a safe place in such a way. Wear eye goggles and safety gloves for your protection. Always turn off the compressor and car system before beginning any repairs on your vehicle.
- Step 2: Next, we must identify the reason for the malfunction. epending upon the problem, we should decide whether to replace or repair the compressor. Turn on the compressor and check whether your compressor is not operating or just not providing cool air to the car cabin.
- Step 3: If your compressor is not turning on, it may be due to loss of power supply or failure in the control system.Check the belt drive from the crank assembly for proper clutch engagement. If all seems normal, check the electrical control system to provide proper signals to the compressor. Go through your car’s operation manual before repairing or working on the control system.
- Step 4: Now my compressor is running and cooled air is not produced at the car. Then check the blower fan for proper operation. The blowers might not supply the cold air output to the car cabin.
- Step 5: The loss of refrigerant in the compressor system may cause improper cooling, so you must check the compressor for proper refrigerant level. If the refrigerant level is low, charge the refrigerant in the compressor. To do this, vacuum down the refrigeration system and add the refrigerant in the supply line. Click here to find the step by step procedure to vacuum down and add the refrigerant in the compressor system.
- A good vacuum pump and pressure gauge is required to charge the refrigerant. Click on the below links to find available refrigeration kits.
- Step 6: Remove the compressor by removing all the bolts and nuts attached to them. Now check if your compressor is not working due to internal failure. Check the extent of the damage caused to the compressor. Disconnect the battery lines to avoid electrical shock.Seal the refrigerant lines to avoid leakage of refrigerants while removing.
- Step 7: In the case of debris and solid waste accumulation, try flushing your compressor. The compressor must be flushed multiple times to properly clean the compressor system.
- Step 8: Check the old compressor for failure and determine if the compressor can be repaired.
- Step 9: A new compressor must be added with suitable lubricant oil for smooth and effective operation. Click this link to find the reccomended oil amounts and levels.
- Step 10: Match the O-rings in the compressor to provide proper seal in the compressor system. Always use new O-rings whenever you dismantle your compressor. The older O-rings may be flattened due to pressure.
- Step 11: Next, gently move the new compressor into the engine bay. Clear all the hoses and lines carefully. Thread all the mounting bolts and nuts to hold the compressor in line. Then connect the refrigeration lines in the compressors and belt drive mechanism to the crankshaft.
- You can follow this handy guide and follow the step-by-step guidelines to dismantle and replace an AC compressor. You can also follow the guidelines shown in this video to replace and repair an AC compressor.
Your new AC compressor should be running well now. AC compressor replacement might cost you a lot of money at a service center. You can save that money by following the AC compressor replacement steps mentioned in this article.
AC compressor failure might now stop your car completely, but they may spoil the travel experience of you and your passengers. AC compressors are necessary to experience a comfortable and enjoyable travelling experience.
If you find this article useful, please like this article. If you have suggestions or opinions about this article, please let us know with your comments in the section below section. Don’t forget to share this article with your friends and family, as this article might be helpful for them too.